Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Too Early/ Too Late

Timing is supposed to be very important on this ship.
I decided that I would keep my phone in M'sian time (just so I would know what time it is there) and change my watch to Cambodian time. Sounded like a good idea, right...wrong!!

Day before yesterday, before going to sleep, I set my alarm to wake up at 7.30 (B'fast is at 8.00) So the next morning, my phone alarm went off at 7.30 but I switched it off and went back to sleep. Only to wake up later and find that it was close to 9.00. Panicking, I got up and quickly changed and rushed to the Dining Room...but there was nobody. Reasoning that I was too late and b'fast was over, I just made a cup of tea and sat in a corner to drink it. But the thing that puzzled me was that the Dining Room clock said 8.00. Maybe it's slow, I thought...by 1 whole hour...

Then, slowly, people started forming the b'fast line and then it hit me!!
My phone time was 1 hour ahead. So when I put my alarm for 7.30, it rang at 6.30 Cambodian time. And when I thought I was late for b'fast at 9.00, it was actually 8.00 Cambodian time. I was too early for b'fast!



Just the next day, I was supposed to start work at 3.30pm. So I decided to sleep in because I stayed up till 11.00pm for work the previous night. At 8.55am, the phone rings. And when I pick it up, it's my cabin-mate telling me that everybody is waiting for me to start Accomm devotion. I told her that I would be starting work late today, but she said that everyone has to go for devotion no matter what time you start work. '!!!' goes through my head. I quickly got up, threw some clothes on, didn't even brush my teeth and ran for devotion...because I remember our boss teling us that if we're even a minute late for devotion, we have to sing a song in our own language, which I obviously didn't want to do with my morning breath! Thankfully, I reached at 9.00am 27secs (in my opinion) and my boss was kind enough to let me in without having to sing (thankfully for them!).

3 comments:

  1. Hi Shona, how was the Combodian breakfast?

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA!! SOunds like something you'd do. ;p Your adventure is making me feel like I should hope on a plane and fly right over now! :)Glad your having fun! :) GOd bless! Take care suzanne! :)

    p/s: No more mee hon soup? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey achen, sorry for the late reply to all your comments, I didn't notice you had put up comments until a minute ago. Yes, everything is going fine.

    The food on the ship is more like Western and consists of mainly breads and cheese and stuff like that. We didn't get any Cambodian food. Once in a while, we get things like fried rice or noodles, or shepherd's pie or macaroni. And yesterday, for Sunday dinner, they even treated us with ice-cream! It was good.

    Thanks for the prayers. It means a lot. And thanks for checking my blog. Take care.

    ReplyDelete